Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Friends - welcome to the maiden voyage of Park School's "Automotive Physics" class. I'm thrilled that you're here.

In preparation for our time together, here are some things I'd like you to assemble:

clothes that can get dirty or greasy
eye protection
ear protection
hair ties (if you have long hair)

Course materials will be online, on this blog or presented on a flash drive. There is no text for this class, though I do recommend these books:

The Way Science Works - Macmillan
The Way Things Work - Macaulay
How to keep your VW alive - Muir

Finally, think about what you want to accomplish in this class. I have an agenda, of course - I would like each student to learn the basics of what makes automobiles run. I'd like to spend around 2-3 weeks covering the basics: engine, transmission, brakes, etc. During this time, you (and your team) will begin design on some component of a car (go-cart, actually).

I expect that we will have 2-3 teams. Each will need to appoint members to work on: frame, brakes, engine mounting, pedals, steering.

You will also need to decide whether or not this will be a closed go-cart (with roll cage).

Mind you, I'm not married to most things in this class. If you decided to build a motorcycle instead, I'd be happy with that - though I know virtually nothing about it. If you wanted to build a helicopter (rotorcycle), more power to you. My main job will be to keep you focused and realistic, help you find resources and teach you some basics. I'm not overly knowledgeable about cars, but I love the process and I'm excited to learn with you.

Grades

Expect grades to come from the following:

2 papers - one on an auto system (ie., brakes) and one on an auto or innovation of historical significance
the work that you and your team accomplish
team member evaluation
self-evaluation
test (yes, I said "test")

No comments:

Post a Comment